Thread: crotch carry?
View Single Post

Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default SmartCarry

I work in a "absolutely no weapons" environment mandated by company policy. It's not illegal to carry at my job, but if caught the likely punishment would be termination. It's in the handbook.

That said, I carry my 642 in a SmartCarry every Monday thru Friday from 6:45am to 5:45pm (that includes my commute) and have been doing so for about 18 months. I'll start with the one con I can think of while using this system. It is admittedly slow to draw and hard to draw, particularity when seated at my desk and while driving. It is not impossible but does require practice. Note that pocket carry has the very same limitations for me. The pros for this system of carry are, very deep concealment and comfort. No clips or anything show at my belt line, I can wear any belt including dressy ones, and my shirt can remain tucked in 100% of the time while still allowing direct access to the gun. It took me about a week to get over the new feel of things below the belt, but as the other users have stated, I don't even notice it's there now.

While this is certainly not the ideal carry system it is the system that in my situation, allows me to carry at all which is the most important part of the concealed carry lifestyle.

When I'm not at work I very rarely use the SmartCarry. The only other time I used it when I wasn't at work I was dressed in a suit and tie. So it really fills a specific niche and works well for me.