View Single Post

Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Does the M&P hinged trigger help prevent AD's?

I bought a 9mm M&P 3 months ago. The only other auto loaders I own are S&W Model 41 and a Glock 20. I love the way my M&P fits my hand, and it shoots accurately as well. The trigger pull is not satisfactory, but I have an Apex hard sear ordered.

The M&P seems like a very good overall design, but I am puzzled by the hinged trigger. It looks kind of fragile. Has anyone ever heard of the trigger breaking or otherwise failing?

I also wonder why the M&P was designed with the hinged trigger in the first place. Was it just something the marketing and/or legal departments insisted on? I can't imagine how the hinged trigger makes the M&P safer to carry and shoot. I have tried in vain to visualize a scenario where some foreign object intrudes into the trigger guard and presses only on the upper half of the trigger without also moving the lower half. At least with the Glock's safety trigger, one can imagine a scenario where the trigger is being pulled from the side of the trigger by some object which gets caught in the trigger guard. In that case, the inner trigger would prevent the trigger from moving to the rear. But the M&P hinged trigger does not seem to add anything to the safety of the pistol. Is it just cosmetic? Or am I missing something, and the hinged trigger really does make the M&P safer to carry?

Personally, I would prefer to have a sturdy one piece metal trigger rather the the current hinged trigger.