View Single Post

Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
Does the headstamp read ".38 Colt" rather than .38 Short Colt?

I've used .38 Short Colt in .38 Smith & Wesson chambered revolvers with perfect satisfaction. Neither round gens up enough pressure in today's loadings to run amok. The .38 Short Colt uses a lighter bullet than does the .38 S&W (125 grain rather than 146 grain). The .38 Short Colt may be a thousandth or two smaller in diameter than the .38 S&W but it still won't matter for firing purposes.

There once was the .38 Short Colt and .38 Long Colt. At least Remington has still loaded the .38 Short Colt in recent times. I have a box or two.

The .38 Long Colt is close to .38 Special in length and won't chamber in short cylindered guns made for .38 S&W.

There was once a .38 Colt New Police which was only a .38 S&W with a different bullet design. I think I have a few rounds of ammo around here, loaded with lead bullets with a flattened nose and marked ".38 COLT NP."
Thats Interesting!.
Ill keep an eye out for those rounds at the cartridge collectors shows here.
Here in Australia being a typical "Commonwealth " country we ended up with tons of 38SW ctg revolvers in colts and S&W even larger framed M&P, Victory revolvers shot this underpowered cartridge designed for british. Considering there were one million US troops based in Australia during WW2 we should have used more common to Pacific theatre of war calibre s you guys used such as 38special,45acp. I know I would have felt better carrying something with more puff! if I was there.
Whenever I pick up/buy a colt police positive or I framed S&W they are 99% of the time 38SW calibre only. I have found a lot of guys grabbed the M&P or Victory revolvers removed the 38SW cylinder and barrel and swap to 38 special for a cheap shooter. After the war these guns ended up in companies carrying mail in the country or frieght, or just general use,even in banks. My brother worked in a Bank here in the 1990.s and they still had a revolver there from pre WW2. The bank had been there for about 90 yrs.
Its all interesting as a gun starts out its life heading to say WW2 Europe or Pacific and changes hands and ends up as a gun in a bank or railway, I picked up one recently stamped HKP Hong Kong Police and it was quite pitted but the action was tight , It would definetly have some stories to tell. Thanks for the info
The Following User Likes This Post: