View Single Post

Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra44 View Post
On the 642, I have been doing some research on how to fix the finish. The original finish appears to be a silver like paint with some kind of a clear coat over that. I have tried paint with a small brush to touch up small places on the finish, and then clear coat over that for durability. It has held up fairly well. I have not used the really good material as of yet.
I have painted many cars and I believe that these can be painted also with very good results.
I have not been able to get anything out of S&W as to what the finish actually consists of. I have noticed that some of them have a much thicker finish than others, with some having heavy build up in spots.
It has to be a time consuming task for the factory.
I am pretty sure that the guy that mixes my paint can mix up the exact color in a really good paint line to respray the revolver. It can then be clear coated for durability. The question is will the finish stick properly to the revolver for a long period of time?
I am really thinking of trying this when I have some time. I am fairly sure that it will work really well, and should not cost a whole lot as the amount of material required is very small. The time involved may be a big factor, but if it provides a durable finish that will last, then it would be worth the trouble.
I'm sure a lot of us will be grateful for whatever your results turn out be be.....