View Single Post

Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 PM

Liked 28,230 Times in 5,272 Posts

You folks should have had to spend some time on an old ranch and experience bunk house cookin'.
On some ranches it was the custom that whomever was too old or crippled up to fork a broomtail is elected cook.

Now this ain't what you would call a respectable job for an old cowhand, and he would proceed immediately to do whatever was necessary to git replaced.

It is also the the custom that if you complain about the cookin' in a bunkhouse setting, you git to be the cook right quick.

I can tell you that many a terrible meal has been wolfed down without comment just because of that tradition.

One young feller that had bitched about the cookin' and drawed cookin' duties as a result, done ever thing he could think of to cause someone else to bitch, but them ol boys was not sayin' a word.

Finally in desperation that young colt made up a pie crust and went out in the corral and collected the filling from a recently deposited pie of another nature.

He took it in and baked it up all proper and when the time come, he cut it up and served it.

Well a young feller that was always at the head of the line when there was pie, took a bite, choked and sed, "Damn, this pie tastes just like *****!!"

Seeing the huge grin on the cook's face, he recovered quickly and sed, "But that's just the way I like it!!"

I hope by now all of you are familiar with the warning that Ol Iggy will tell you a story 3 differn't ways afore he'd tell you a lie!!!

Last edited by Iggy; 07-11-2010 at 01:52 PM.