View Single Post

Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts

Personally, I have no problem with magazine drop safeties. Every S&W 3rd generation auto I own has this feature. I do have a problem with States acting as big brother and mandating a safety feature that may not make sense for everyone or every gun. Perhaps I need to be educated on the issue, but I'm not aware of a surge in gun accidents that would have been avoided if only there had been a magazine drop safety. I've heard some police officers like them, so they can drop the mag, and disable the gun, if there is a struggle with an assailant trying to take the weapon, but I'm sure there are other officers that don't like them. I say fine. Let everyone make there own decision. But when the State mandates only one permissible option, the freedom to choose is lost.

I guess this really isn't a new California requirement. Older models are grandfathered. I lifted this from another forum...

"In 2007, California law took effect requiring new centerfire handguns must have both (1) magazine disconnect safety and (2) live round chamber indicator. It is probably too expensive for manufacturers to make special CA handgun line with all requirements. According to Guns & Ammo, April, 2010 only 9 new models were CA approved in 2007-2009. Previously, 72 new models were CA approved per year."

Last edited by tocohillsguy; 07-13-2010 at 03:49 PM.