View Single Post

Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Liked 2,195 Times in 415 Posts

Okay, I shot the LH, PC and both Jovinos today. Obviously they are not 25 yard target revolvers
so after checking velocity on a couple of loads I moved up to 9 yards from the target(That is where the shade was.)
The results of one cylinder full of double action deliberate fire with a 220 grain cast bullet over 7.9 grains of Unique
are shown in the photo below.

The average velocities recorded from the 2 5/8" 657 Defensive Revolver using an Oehler 33 chronograph were,
910fps for 220 grain cast SWC over 7.9 grains of Unique and 1195fps for a 210 grain JSP over 21 grains of H110.

The cast bullet load was very mild and comfortable to shoot in all the revolvers. The 210 grain JSP load definitely had more
bark and muzzle jump but was not objectionable nor painful to shoot.

Only a couple of problems were encountered.
The front sight is too tall on the PC 657 Defensive Revolver. With the rear sight adjusted
all the way up it was still shooting about 4 inches low at 25 yards.
I also learned that cast bullets and a Mag-Na-Port'ed blued revolver is real bugger to clean.
There were lead deposits on the side of the barrel rib above the ports. Plus, I
really could not tell that the ports made any difference in muzzle rise or felt recoil.

Comfort and pointability were best with the Ahrends without finger grooves and the Hogue grips followed by the Ahrends w/fg
and the Altamont grips. The only grips actually hurt shooting with were the Mustang grips shown on the Jovino 657 in the
photo below......though they do look good on one of my 6" 657s

The "stock" Jovino grips.

KO