View Single Post

Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 AM

Liked 379 Times in 219 Posts

A while back I traded away my 627-4 8x.38 Super (which was the worst S&W revolver I ever owned) so I desperately needed a real 8 shooter, which at this point was going to be a .357 Magnum. I took a long look at an R8 but decided not to get it. It was too expensive and the alloy frame is a turnoff. Judging from the reports of shooters who own N Frames with alloy frames and actually use them, the durability just isn't there. I want mine to be both a match and carry gun and it will definitely see hard use. The barrel is a turnoff too. I did not like the 5" barrel of the Super and I always preferred the 4" barrel for its versatility. I see the two piece barrel as a cost cutting measure and want nothing to do with that. And I think the barrel has polygonal rifling, which is not good for a revolver that must shoot lots of cast bullets. It was easy to walk away from this revolver. I'm glad I did because shortly thereafter I found a nice used 627-5 with 4" normal contour barrel. My -5 is significantly heavier, but I like all that extra steel. I put Miculek grips on mine too, and I'm surprised at comfortable it is to shoot full power ammo. These grips were always painful on my 625s.

Put 5000 rounds through your R8 and let us know how it's holding up. I don't believe what I read in the magazines and I'd like some feedback that has credibility.

Dave Sinko