Liked 8,893 Times in 3,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
Well after scratching my head....I have 4 .38 die sets

2 Dillon
1 RCBS
1 Redding (Profile)

none have a roll crimp die.

I found out the accu crimp die with the Dillons is not a roll crimp.
I spoke to someone at Redding, Profile Crimp will not provide the desired roll crimp.

He told me to look for a standard Redding Die 92184, but that number does not correspond with anything at Midway.

Which die should I get for a roll crimp only on 148 wadcutters on the 4th station of my dillon?

Want to get the right die.

thanks in advance

Unless marked as Taper Crimp the RCBS die is a roll crimp die. I don't know for sure about the Dillon for .38 Special, but other Dillon die sets I have are all roll crimp dies.

For Redding, I don't know what they told you, but the Profile Crimp is actually a hybrid that forms a crimp that starts as a taper crimp and finishes the mouth as a small roll crimp.

If you want a crimp die instead of seat-crimp the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die is a roll crimp for revolver cartridges but doesn't work well if you are using bullets larger than .357.

I have only been loading for 50 years, and in this time all the die sets I have seen for all manufacturers for revolver cartridges have had roll crimp dies standard unless otherwise labelled or requested. The exception is the more recent Redding Profile Crimp as noted which is a modified roll crimp. I'm afraid I don't understand your problem!