View Single Post

Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 AM

Liked 6,552 Times in 910 Posts
Default S&W M&P 15 Rifle v. Colt AR15 LE 6920 M4 Carbine

Well, things have gotten to the point here on the farm where I have to buy some sort of utility rifle or carbine that is capable of knocking down coyotes. Coyotes! In the Blue Ridge!!

I'm a pistol guy and I don't own a deer rifle, heretical as that sounds. But, I can say after yesterday that my preferred coon, groundhog, and possum control device -- a Model 52-2 with iron sights loaded with .38 Special 148-gr. wadcutters -- is not the best way to go when coyotes are involved. I will spare you the details.

I think something on the M-4 pattern is right for me. Any educated opinions about the better of these two carbines--the Smith or the Colt--as to accuracy, reliability, and durability? I'm really not interested in other brands right now.

Whichever way I go, I want a detachable A-3 style carry handle and A-2 style iron sights, so that optics can be easily added later if necessary. I don't need to worry about flashlights, grenade launchers, and such. A rancher friend out in South Dakota carries the Colt in his truck, and I have seen him do some fine shooting on coyotes with it. Here, we have a lot more trees and fields of fire are much shorter, but still, I want something that is good out to 200-300 yards firing from a supported position.

Your guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Bullseye