View Single Post

Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

You guys want to see a magic levitation act?

Hocus pocus dominocus... see the magic 15-22 barrel hovering above the PVC wrench....

The below pics will probably do a better job of describing the issue than the following explanation. -- The problem with the PVC wrench is that the ID is slightly smaller than the barrel threads. Unfortunately, the barrel nut spins onto the barrel far enough to where the barrel threads start to come up into the barrel nut groves.... So you have to jam the PVC fingers into the barrel nut grooves over the barrel threads. I suspect those who are breaking PVC fingers aren't getting the fingers far enough into the barrel nut grooves. Those who successfully jam the fingers down far enough may sometimes bind the PVC to the point where it is difficult to loosen the barrel nut. That's the issue I had with my PVC wrench (that and I wasn't talented enough to cut four symmetrical fingers.) When I knocked off two PVC fingers it was much easier to force down into the barrel nut grooves and I was able to loosen the barrel nut. Or you could take a little off the inside of the PVC fingers with a dremmel.

Solution -- ShooWrench or Tacticool22Wrench. Notice the ShooWrench is the proper size and slides over the barrel threads in the pic below . Barrel nut wrenches can be seen and purchased in the 15-22 Classified Sticky Thread: *** 15-22 Specific CLASSIFIEDS ***

A few months ago I balked at the notion of needing a ShooWrench. I was wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03249.jpg (18.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03245.jpg (17.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03251.jpg (23.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03244.jpg (22.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03256.jpg (32.4 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-20-2010 at 11:04 AM.