View Single Post

Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,674 Times in 768 Posts

Thank you Whelenshooter for sharing the history of this revolver. I will certainly have it lettered soon.

The price inflation discussion, while interesting, doesn't have much value to me (ha!). Gold is a commodity, this revo is a collectible much like art, in this case American industrial art. I know we can reduce 'things' to a value in dollars and cents, but there is intrinsic and subjective value to be considered when it comes to collecting rare and desirable items. That's how I operate in this realm. If I like it and I have the coin then I'll work it out with the seller.

To the proponents of "shoot it!" and the "I saw one for less" folks, Thank You for your opinions and observations. Among my S&W shooters is a 3rd Model of 1926 transition and a Pre-27. I have another near perfect Model of 1950 44 Military 5" as well, so there is no immediate need to run out to the range and pound a bunch of rounds through this one. I bought it for the reasons stated above. I saw several examples of the 1950 44 Military at the S&WCA Gun Room in the low to mid $3k range. All had 'something' about them that determined value. There were 4th models with higher values too. And, I understand that values rise and fall with the economy, collector popularity, and the movies (e.g. Private Ryan and Band of Brothers WWII 1911s, Garands, Thompsons, and BARs; Cops and Robbers and Gangster Guns, etc.), this is where subjective value comes into play. IMO Whelenshooter and I did well by each other, I'm pleased with it, and I might even run a cylinder of cowboy loads just to make sure it didn't get all rusted-up sitting in the box for fifty-odd years.

And, it's been said elsewhere in this forum, the Tucson S&WCA show was spectacular. To see so many S&W's on display and for sale was overwhelming. Meeting and speaking with collectors, dealers, and S&WCA members was a real treat for me, I felt like a member of a community. It was like this forum is, only in person and surrounded by the history and actual items we discuss every day. If you have not already done so, then join the S&WCA and go to the annual meetings!

Cheers all!

Last edited by The Gila Bender; 07-22-2010 at 11:03 AM.