View Single Post

Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Liked 313 Times in 44 Posts

Thanks Twaits - there is an interesting story behind the pocket model. I have a signed letter dated 1923 that tells a story of how this gun was used to shoot a cow puncher on a ranch in Colorado in 1893. He died quickly from his woulds but not before he shot the original owner of this Merwin. This murderer was able to ride off with another intruder but dropped this Merwin where he was shot so it was the gun that killed the cowboy. The murderer was later found dead with no papers, boots, or horse (probably all having been taken by his compadre) after being trailed by a posse. The sheriff of that posse gave the MH to the author of the letter - the murdered man's best friend who was with him when he died and also was a member of the posse. One of these days I'll check the facts of the letter, which are extremely interesting. When I saw the gun, I bought it for the cut-down barrel and replaced sight, not the story; but it's still very cool to have.

Also, Montanian replied to a post over at the Merwin Hulbert forum letting me know that the scooped cylinder could have been original to the gun as there were left-overs of these from first model production that were used for second models.

Photo of front sight - you can see the date and the base of the seated liberty

And the other side where the eagle head is visible