View Single Post

Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
The recoil is healthy. I didn't choose to use a steel framed Chief's Special for 2-inch testing and also kept the Buffalo Bore out of the Model 642. I intend to get a couple more boxes and will try them in the Model 642.
I just (yesterday) ordered 100 rounds of the BB 158 gr. +p. I have agonized over carrying a Chiefs Special because of the anemic-ness of most .38 special loads from the j-frame. I have tried carrying larger guns, but the Model 60/36 just works for me. I intend to shoot five, maybe 10 rounds each from my two main carry pieces just to verify that they print where I need them to at 5 yards. 1000-plus fps and near 400 ft.lbs sounds a lot better than the numbers from the old El Dorado Starfire 125 gr +p loads I'm carrying now.

I also plan to sight a couple of four inch K-frame "truck guns" at 50 feet. Low end .357 performance from K-frames is a pretty good proposition, seems like to me. I have ideas of taking one of the Ks to the deer stand and testing the load on a medium size doe, given the opportunity.