View Single Post

Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

This is by terry_p on another site...for all you handloaders:

Trying to duplicate the Buffalo Bore 38 Spl +P 158 gr LSWCHP-GC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used a Rim Rock bullet that is very similar if not the same bullet that Buffalo Bore uses. I chose Power Pistol powder and had previously worked up from what was listed as min to max in the Speer Manual so I chose the +P max load of 6.0 gr which had previously had not caused me any pressure issues and was consistent.

I brought my chrony to the range, set up and proceeded to fire 5 Buffalo Bores, and 5 of my loads from my SP101 and recorded each reading after firing 5. I then proceeded to fire 5 each from my LCR and record each. The results from the BB were impressive averaging 1037 FPS in the SP and averaging 1017 in the LCR. I didn't see unburns and the loads didn't show any excess pressure signs in either revolver. My loads chronied an average of 936 FPS in the SP and 894 FPS in the LCR and did not show signs of excess pressure in either revolver but were not quite as snappy as the BB's. The only problem I had with my reloads was for some reason my 38 Spl sizer die wasn't putting a very strong roll crimp on the Rim Rocks and was adjusted as aggressive as I could get it. I quickly checked a random loose RR bullet when I got home for size and it was right on at .357 so the next time I'll use my 357 mag dies and see if I can get a little more consistent and agressive roll crimp as they are newer dies.

The load is what it is because I am at the top and other powders listed in Speer are listed as generating slower bullet speed. I'm still down from 100 fps to 124 FPS from the factory so they obviously are using a different powder but the two loads seemed to shoot to the same point or about an inch below point of aim at 7 yards.

It was an interesting exercise and although I didn't match speed the loads will be good for practice and not a bad alternative to the $2.00 per cartridge for the Buffalo Bore's.