View Single Post

Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMAssociates View Post
xzhync:

(OK, how do you pronounce that? )

Unless you see a specific prohibition, it's probably safe to assume that a given modern firearm will handle +P, at least well enough to put a few practice rounds through it, and "in extremis" should you actually need it.

I would NOT plan on putting more than a couple magazines worth through the gun initially, nor doing more than just burning off the carry ammunition each year.

There are some out there where it's just not safe, of course. Either the manufacturer says not to do it, or it's just kinda old. My old PPK/S will handle about anything, but I'd be afraid to put +P in my P3AT. I prefer to avoid the +P in the Walther even so - it's a circa 1968 gun....

Philosophically, other than better penetration of hollow points against winter clothing, I'm not sure it really matters.... But that's just me....

Regards,
Thanks. Ya, I know my user name is strange. It is an old logon id from a previous job. I just use it because I am sure no one else has. Anyway, I haven't tried any Buffalo Bore yet, but I did try a few rounds of Doubletap ammo. I don't believe it is as hot as the BB, but a little hotter than, say, Speer Gold Dots, etc. I really didn't notice more recoil. Not sure I will try the BB, but I am gathering that, in very, very limited usage, it probably would be ok. I am just working off of the approach that greater fps equates to greater eneryand greater penetration and (hopefully) greater expansion. I also realize that hotter rounds cause greater recoil and slow down subsequent shots, so ther is a trade off. I believe Mag318 said he will be using CorBon in his BG 380. I may try some, since they are within SAAMI spec, but probably on the hot end of the spectrum.