View Single Post

Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unhappy New pistol, locking block damage - please help

Hello fellow gun nuts.
I'm not new to pistols, but this is my first M&P after shooting my dad's M&P40. I purchased a "new" M&P40C to go along with my XDM40 from a well known local gun shop. Upon my inspection of the pistol prior to purchase, I regret that I focused my inspection prior to taking delivery on the barrel, slide, striker area and spring. I didn't notice anything to make me think the gun had been fired other than to produce the spent cartridge for the factory to give me. Both mags still had a wax pencil mark on the follower, no paint flakes from the spring in the slide etc...
The only thing noticable was a lack of huge amounts of packing grease or over lubrication I have had on other guns. I just figured this was the norm for S&W. I always give new pistols a good cleaning before taking them to the range, so i figured this one had just been sitting a awhile. I did check the date on the casing envelope prior to filling out the papers and it was from Jan 2010.
I got home and stripped the pistol for cleaning and discover...
(Using the diagram found elsewhere and the S&W parts list)
The locking block (part number 15 in the diagram - 277590000 on the list) has a gouge in it dead center. Not sure if that is 100% correct, but thats what I believe it to be. Basically it is on the frame and is connected to the take down lever. With the slide installed, it sits directly beneath the spring/barrel and feed ramp when the slide is installed on the frame.
My questions are...
1. Anyone else seen this new/used/misused?
2. What is the exact function of the part?
3. When and what would it have come into contact with to create the gouge?
4. Is this something S&W would repair? The parts list shows this part if I am identifying it correctly to be an armourer available part only.
I am debating taking it back to the shop for repair, since I have a feeling they sold me a used pistol as new but with unused magazines. Never had anyproblems with them or any other gun shop, so would just like a little insight as to what to watch out for.
Sorry to be longwinded, and thanks in advance for any feedback. If needed, I'll try to get a good picture.
I Still love this pistol, but wouldn't trust it fully after break in for CCW untill I get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by texanfan; 08-01-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: clarification
The Following User Likes This Post: