View Single Post

Old 08-02-2010, 06:26 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,983 Times in 3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary7 View Post
... the chamber walls of a 45 cylinder are considerably thinner than those on a 44 cylinder, hence they can't handle as high a pressure as the 44 cylinder. ...
Wow! Who ever suggested that a S&W .45 cylinder could handle .44 Mag pressures?

Go back through the posts and you will see that someone suggested the heat treatment is different for the .45 Colt than it is for the .44 Mag. From my limited experiences in a manufacturing environment, I politely suggested that this is a very dubious proposition. I stand by that statement until someone offers reliable proof to the contrary.

Then I talked about the wisdom of firing .45 Colt +P through a modern S&W. I said I believe this would not be a problem, especially if done in moderation. Again, I stand by that statement.

I base this second comment on a simple observation. While I am not going to the safe to dig out revolvers to make measurements, I believe the chamber walls for a S&W .45 Colt must be very close, if not equal, to the chamber walls of a S&W .45 ACP revolver. The SAAMI Max for .45 ACP is 21,000 psi. IIRC, S&W .approves its modern .45 ACP revolvers for +P, so they can handle over the Standard SAAMI max for .45 ACP. Therefore, a modern S&W .45 Colt revolver can handle considerably more than the Standard SAAMI limit for the ancient .45 Colt.

Last edited by Jack Flash; 08-02-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Correct Typos