View Single Post

Old 08-03-2010, 01:05 AM
US Veteran

Liked 84 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
Go back through the posts and you will see that someone suggested the heat treatment is different for the .45 Colt than it is for the .44 Mag. From my limited experiences in a manufacturing environment, I politely suggested that this is a very dubious proposition. I stand by that statement until someone offers reliable proof to the contrary.
And yet this is the very reason most often given for why a J frame model 60 no dash cannot handle the same high pressures that a J frame 940 no dash can, even though they use the same non-magnum frame. If the 940 can handle 35K and the Model 60 only 18.5K, how else would you explain the difference if it was not heat treatment?

The Model 547 is another one in the same category. Why can it as a K frame withstand 35K and the seemingly identical K frame Model 15 not cope with that category of pressure (hence it was not chambered in .357 Magnum)? The Standard Catalog seems to indicate there are differences within the same frame sizes. It speaks of the M547 frames later being used to make a .357 guns.