View Single Post

Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Buffalo Bore probably produces some of the most powerful factory loads for 45 colt. They have the "Ruger" only loads that they do not recommend using in anything but the Blackhawks and Redhawks. And they have the +P loads that they say are "Safe" in any modern 45 colt handgun, S&Ws included. These are loads up in the 1100 to 1200 fps range. Not the 1400 and up for the Ruger only.

So, that, coupled with everything else I've read, there should be no problem with putting the normal +P loads through a good S&W Mountain gun.

We're no talking about the older models like Mr. Keith ecountered, but newer, stronger, better guns that are made of better metals than the old ones. And we're sure not talking about the older Colt SAAs.

So, let's don't sell our 45 mountain guns, or any of the newer model 25s short. They are plenty strong to take some +Ps. Would I shoot a steady diet of them. Hell no.

I'm not shooting a steady diet of any heavy rounds through any handgun anymore. I've done enough damage to myself doing that, let alone what the gun may have taken. I don't own any of the big caliber magnums now. I sold them all. I still have .357s, but I don't shoot steady diets of magnum loads in them.

But, each to his own. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't. But rest assured, the gun is safe with them, within reason.

Take Care, God Bless, and WATCH Your Back!