View Single Post

Old 08-07-2010, 06:37 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,164 Times in 592 Posts

I have a 5.5" 41 that I bought new in the early eighties, a 8-3/8" 10 shot 617 I bought about 3 years ago, and a 4" 10 shot 617 I bought about 2 years ago. I think all 3 are fantastic firearms and I wouldn't trade any of them. I use all three primarily for plate and bowling pin shoots these days. The 41 is by far the easiest to shoot fast, but when it comes right down to it I love revolvers. The 8-3/8 617 is more forgiving than the 4" on plates and pins but it is slower to swing from target to target. I guess the most telling fact is that I have been using the 4" exclusively for the last couple years, even though it is more difficult to shoot than the other two, it is quick and a blast to shoot. I am the only shooter in the matches with a revolver, everyone else shoots a semi, a lot with red dot sights, but I have won a couple matches and can pretty much always place within the top three. When you can beat the semi auto boys with a box stock revolver in a speed competition its a pretty good feeling! I think maybe the 6" 617 would be the best of both worlds, I've seen a couple at gunshows and been sorely tempted, but as I also have a 6" six shot 17 from the mid seventies I can't really justify to myself buying another 617 just to have the additional 4 rounds.