View Single Post

Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Liked 101 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpower View Post
I was in Ellsworth AFB, 44th SMW from 72-74. Qualified with an M-15 but never really carried it. I do remember it was a beautiful shooter. Did any other service actually use the M-15 other than the USAF?

I'd probably be in for one if S&W ever responds. Anyone actually count how many S&W Forum takers there are yet?
I've started counting and taking "I'd love to have one" type of quotes to forward to Smith & Wesson. I sent a letter outlining a USAF Model 15 commemorative last November. Sent it again in April. No response from either.
Perhaps reference to this site, and the comments, will help get some kind of response.
Frankly, I think there's a large demand for this revolver.

I know that the Navy Security Police carried Model 15s. I met a few when I was stationed in Panama in 1977 and 1978.
Not to be confused with "Shore Patrol," to be in the Navy's Security Police, you had to have served at least four years. The Navy Security Police generally rode patrol and did minor investigative work, often with Naval Investigative Services.

The Navy Security Police I met carried Model 15s just like mine (I was Air force Security Police). Shore Patrol, which was either Navy or Marine personnel given minimal or no training, were issued 1911A1 .45s.

I'll assemble that letter to Smith & Wesson and get it out in the next week. I'd love to have a Model 15, blued, with the USAF Security Police shield on it. The M15 Combat Masterpiece was, and remains, a magnificent weapon.