Thread: A vintage 22-32
View Single Post

Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,853 Times in 817 Posts
Default With regard to the "Hammer"

I have read, with much interest, this post and have a similar story concerning the .22/.32 hammer. I have an old post Bechart era Heavy Target that doesn't have a pedigree, meaning there is nothing in the records about it ever leaving the factory. This was so disappointing to me that I traded this revolver and forgot about it. Next show I attended, there it was for sale, I examined it and noticed that the hammer spur was gone, missing so the owner reduced the selling price and I owned it once more but this time it was disfigured. Searched for a replacement and finally a fellow forum member had one and offered. Upon receipt of said hammer, I found that it was not a drop in fit, single action but no double action, so I just let it sit and in the meantime, the seller who had the misfortune of breaking the hammer found the portion of spur that had broken off and gave it to me. Lucked on to another forum member selling some I frame parts including the hammer, this one is a drop in perfect fit and also had the "Made In USA" stamped as did the original. From my experience and from reading this post, I have to believe the hammer spur may be a weak point on these little revolvers. Knowing the labor involved in welding and re-checkering plus the case hardening, this would be a very expensive fix unless you are the qualified person and its your revolver. Apologize for the lengthy post, wanted to say it more concisely but didn't work out.