View Single Post

Old 08-14-2010, 05:48 PM
US Veteran

Liked 17,127 Times in 5,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor47 View Post
The damning part of it is that most CCW courses dont seem to address or give very little attention to the period of time between perception of threat outside of justifiable range (7 yards in my state) and the point at which that the threat is resolved by peacefully or by force. The course emphasis seems to be on a threat within 7 yards with a perpetrator bearing a visible weapon.

Reality in our area is that criminals have learned not to draw their weapon until the last second and then frequently shoot the victim in the head. By the time the weapon is visible, there is no time to draw and few if any option for escape. If the victim warns the perpatrator away, he may be charged with assault. If the victim allows the perpetrator inside of 7 yards, he will likely either end up dead or forced to shoot. I havent heard of anyone addressing this type of situation, which is now very common. I would like to know just what is expected of you in that type of situation. Is there a course addressing this?

Awarness and mindset will most often prevent these type of "sneak attacks".

When people I don't know get that close to me I don't take my eyes off them. I don't care if they like it or not. I also instinctively know where cover is and how to reach it quickly.

The one thing that is not taught or practiced enough is the ability to fend off an attack with your off hand, drawing and then firing with the other hand at close range.

To me, that is one of the important things I concentrate on at the range because it is most likely what will happen.

To practice entirely with two hands at 7, 10, 15 yards, etc.... Is like wishing upon a star.

It isn't realistic.