View Single Post

Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Is that an actual statute in your state? What state? Have never hear of a "justifiable range" anywhere; certainly not one quantified.

Similarly, have never heard of anyone being charged with warning away one who threatens death/serious bodily harm.

Motre info, please. Statute(s) citation would be useful.

Be safe.
In the state of Louisiana, you must be within 7 yards (21 feet) for a shooting to be considered justified- according to every instructor I have discussed this with.

If the person sees you place your hand on your gun or if you unholster it and it becomes visible, you are threatening the person with a gun- according to every instructor I have discussed this with.

The way it is described by these instructors, the assailant walks up to you and you do not draw until he displays a weapon. It comes off like a point blank OK Corral with you yelling at the guy till he is right next to you, where you have very few options.

I have been through the situation described first hand. My solution has been to yell, "Halt! Come no closer! You have no business with me! Leave me alone!" The guy keeps coming, looking me straight in the eye. I move behind my car and he continues coming until I place my hand on the concealed weapon, at which point he takes a hard left turn and keeps on going. The problem is that at no point do these guys let you know that they have a weapon until they use it on you. You simply dont know anything other than you are being approached in a vacant parking lot by an agressive looking young male you have never seen before at midnight, looking you straight in the eye, smoking what appears to be a crack pipe. My solution has been that both he and I go home safe if at all possible.

One local guy followed the rules as specified by instructors. The perp got in too close, hit the man in the head with a gun, at which point the victim pulled his gun and shot the perp 5 times in the heart. Yeah, he was justified in Court, but I still say that if he warned the guy off at a reasonable distance, there probably would not have been a shooting. The closer the perp, the fewer your options. I dont want them that close. I want them to keep their distance and go on about their business.

Last edited by surveyor47; 08-14-2010 at 09:16 PM.