View Single Post

Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Liked 483 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwever View Post
Wow. I guess I'll show my lack of experience with this ammo:

I just went on line to order .44 mag Speer shell shot at Able Ammo, and it was $15.36 for a box of ten. CCI was 15.49 for 10 at Northwest Shooter Supply in .44 magnum; and, $11.59 for .357/.38.

12 Gauge is less than half the price per round. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing blowing Copperheads in half.

Is the less expensive .357 shot ammo adequate for burly snakes here in the South? Although that question is just academic since I don't have a .357 any more.

Okay, I'm over the shock, I'll go back on line later to order ten boxes of the .44 magnum shot load.

Safearm: 6990 Electronic Security Group, Okinowa; 6906 Elec Sec Squadron - Texas; 53rd Signal Group, Tallahassee Florida NG. TDY 180 - 220 days per year when active duty. You?
I, too, have been using CCI (speer) shot cartridges since the 70s (I remember the old yellow ones very well). I reload .38 and .44 CCI shot capsules with #9 shot that I remove from cheapie shotgun shells. However, I've killed many more Rattlesnakes with .22 rimfire shot cartridges (24 in one day, some years ago) and they also work fine @ up to 5-6 feet. When I lived in Mobile I canoed the Escatava (sp) River in E. Miss. and killed lots of Cottonmouths with .38 CCI shot shells out of a Model 60. At that time most of the Snake Hunters that I knew used .410 shotguns which were a lot more effective at blowing the Cottonmouths out of trees while the hunters paddled down the River. For Copperheads, I think a 22 rimfire shot cartridge would do just fine. The CCI model with the tiny plastic capsule holds a bit more shot than the crimped ones from WW or Federal (31 vs 25 grains) but I can't tell the difference on a Rattler.

PS: A 22 MAG shot cartridge holds nearly twice the shot of a "regular" 22 and you CAN tell the difference with these.