View Single Post

Old 08-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi71 View Post
Hi,

Due to the thin cases DO NOT TRY TO HOT-ROAD THE AMMO. Cases will split easy enough with standard loads and several firings. If you want a high powered .44 get a .44 Special or bigger.
I have loaded 44-40 for use in a Ruger Vaquero and a Rossi 92 replica, both often chambered for 44 MAG. In these strong guns 44-40 can be loaded up to lower end of 44 Mag performance, with 200-300 grain bullets with no problems in case failure. DO NOT TRY THIS IN WEAK GUNS!! -- that is toggle links , old S&W revolvers, Colt SAAs, etc.

Should one look closely at solid head modern 44-40 case you will find them quite strong in head area, despite being thin in body. As a result, modern 44-40 brass from Starline and Remington, especially, will last for well over 10 loadings, even well over SAAMI chamber pressure limits for 44-40. For loads matching external ballistics for true HV 44-40 loads (approximately 180 grain bullets at 1600+ fps from rifle) case life is at least 5 shots, probably much more, in my guns.

Chamber dimensions can make a big difference in number of times a case can be loaded before body splits. My Ruger Vaquero has really minimal chambers and almost no working of brass occurs on resizing. Not so with cases from Rossi -- once workhardened, I start seeing longitudinal splits, even with low pressure nitro loads or BP loads in that Rossi.

There is one limiting factor with thin walled cases, like 44-40. That is that no crimp in that thin brass will hold heavier bullets in place with heavy recoiling loads. In my experience this becomes the practical limiting factor well before chamber pressures. I only saw this when exceeding substantially the loads corresponding to original, true HV 44-40 velocities with 200 grain bullets (as given in published loading manuals). With 300 gr bullets, bullet movement quickly became limiting factor, at least for practical use. I never pushed 240 grain bullets hard enough to observe this, but never tried to go above very lower end of published velocities for 44 Mag loads. NO, I WILL NOT POST LOADS -- DO YOUR OWN LOAD DEVELOPMENT!! WITH LOTSA CARE!!

Also, with Rossi, magazine tube would not stay in place with heavier loads, thanks to there being almost nothing to hold it against inertia.

Niklas