View Single Post

Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 PM

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
I think that's just the point, though. Attacks can be sudden and unannounced. And violent. Attackers often aren't the gentlemanly type and usually don't observe the rules of fair play. Supposed you fall or are knocked to the ground, have to roll or otherwise manuever to avoid kicks and punches from multiple assailants. Finally you have a chance to grab your handgun and OOPS! all you've got is an empty holster. The gun came out somewhere in all the rolling, twisting, and fighting. That could get embarrasing...

My SR holster does seem to hold my revolver very well. And I'm certainly no combat expert, I don't even play one on tv. But I can see value in a strap or other positive retention system.

Just trying to show another side to this discussion...
Straps are great... as long as you also see the value in training using them. A lot.

A strap that's easy to release in front of the bathroom mirror, can be a little more difficult to release under pressure. The kind of pressure that's hard to duplicate in training.

Most police field training officers can tell stories of watching your trainee fumble getting their gun out their holster, the first time they're confronted with an "oh ****" situation. And those are mostly younger folks, with good reflexes, that just finished spending 4 to 6 months drawing and shooting.

I have several of the SR holsters. I can't imagine losing a gun out of one, under anything less than very extreme circumstances.

Last edited by Elmer; 08-24-2010 at 09:25 PM.