View Single Post

Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was recently in endless research mode over the the exact same two guns you are talking about....

I went and shot a friends Model 41 several times over a two week period and really, really liked it. But the other side of me wanted a Model 617 revolver so I could shoot whatever kind of ammo I wanted/had and not worry about jams, etc.
Well, I didn't plan it this way, but I ended up with both a Model 41 and a mint condition Model 17-8 6" fully lugged, blued, 10-shot revolver (same as 617, only blued version instead of stainless... made for a couple years around 1997/98).
I have shot both extensively over the last few weeks. They are both wonderful guns and a blast to shoot.
I can shoot the Model 41 with accuracy like no other handgun I have ever owned. It really is as good everyone says!
I didn't seem to shoot the revolver as well.
I thought maybe I just needed more trigger time behind the revolver as most of the research I had done indicated that it should be behind in the accuracy department vs the Model 41, but not by a huge margin.

I was able to put both guns in a Ransom rest and take the human element out.
The results supported what I had already observed... the Model 41 out does the revolver in the accuracy department by quite a bit.
This was with a large assortment of ammo (CCI SV, CCI MM, Eley Sport, Eley Tenex, Federal Automatch, Fed bulk, Win Xpert, plus a few others... only shot the SV stuff out of the Model 41, tried everything in the Model 17-8).

Summary:
Everyone has their own reasons for what they want from a gun... for me, I have come to the conclusion once again that accuracy is what does it for me.
I have sat and fired hundreds of rounds out of both guns on the same day several times in the last few weeks and have come to realize that a guy probably does 'need' more than one .22LR handgun.

But, if I could only have one? Easy choice... the Model 41 hands down.
It seems to just tear up the bullseyes like nobody's business.

But I can't use whatever cheap bulk ammo is handy and have to use more expensive SV target ammo (CCI SV, Eley, Wolf)?? No big deal... my Savage BTVLSS happens to shoot that stuff the most accurately too!