View Single Post

Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 774 Times in 375 Posts

First what gun will you be firing them out of? That makes a bit of a difference in top end loads.

In a Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk you can go up to 22.5 grains of H-110/296 (same powder) very safely.

In a 29/629 I would start at 19 and work up to 21.5 which was the go to load that most of the gun writers/hunters used when that bullet was first gaining popularity back in the mid to late '80's. I have used as high as 23.5 grains of 296 in a Ruger Redhawk with no problems, and cases tapped right out with light finger pressure on the ejector rod. The bullets I used (and still have some of) were those sold by Cor-Bon back when they were still in Metro detroit. I bought them directly from Peter Pi who, at least at that time, had the exclusive rights to that bullet style after making a deal with JD Jones (the guy who invented it). the 21.5/296 load was one he gave me as well. Said it was safe in any sound .44 mag handgun including the 29/629. Like I said, start low a couple grains, and work up carefully in your gun watching for any telltale signs of excess pressure.

Edited to ad- these loads require the use of the lower crimp groove on the SSK bullet.

Last edited by Gun 4 Fun; 08-26-2010 at 12:03 AM.