View Single Post

Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi71 View Post
Quote from NiklasP,

"I have loaded 44-40 for use in a Ruger Vaquero and a Rossi 92 replica, both often chambered for 44 MAG. In these strong guns 44-40 can be loaded up to lower end of 44 Mag performance, with 200-300 grain bullets with no problems in case failure. DO NOT TRY THIS IN WEAK GUNS!! -- that is toggle links , old S&W revolvers, Colt SAAs, etc."

My response,

I have had a good number of standard .44/40 cases split vertically after being fired only with standard velocity loads. I have also had factory new unfired and loaded cases split. My ammunition is loaded with 200 grain bullets to a velocity of about 800/850 fps from a revolver.

I suggest that if one wants a hotter .44 there are enough .44 Specials and .44 Magnums available to do so.
Based on my experience, I would expect that whatever 44-40(s) you are using have rather large chambers or you have been getting some really brittle brass -- most likely the former. I don't recall ever having a case split in body with my tight-chambered Ruger and only after lots (maybe 10) in Rossi's more generous chamber.

If one does not already have a nice 44-40 in a strong actioned gun (Ruger, Rossi, Marlin, Freedom Arms, Sauer, etc.), buy whatever 44 strikes your fancy and allows use of loads you want to use. With my experience, with my two 44-40s, I sure would not blow money on an additional 44 Spl or 44Mag chambered gun of same type. However, IF I really wanted full 44 Mag performance in a scoped revolver or carbine for hunting, THAT would logically result in buying a Ruger Blackhawk in hunter configuration or a Marlin carbine. But, I don't.

Niklas