View Single Post

Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
During my range sessions I did some make shift ammunition tests to see how various 380 loads would perform against hostile waterjugs.
1. Winchester WB Truncated FMJ.
As expected these zipped right thru the water jugs. I like the bullet design and since most HPs don't reliably expand at 380 velocities this would be a decent carry load. At least with a FMJ you should get good penetration which is important.
2. Federal Classic HP.
These did not expand and went thru the waterjugs just like the FMJ loads.
3. Federal Low Recoil HydroShok HP.
Just like the Classics these to zipped right thru the waterjugs with no expansion.
4. Corbon 95 grn JHP.
This load is rated at over 1000 fps and was the first HP load that actually expanded really doing a numbe ron the hostile waterjug. Good load.
5. Corbon DPX Copper HP.
This load was just as good as the above load with even more expansion.
6. Winchester PDX1 JHP.
This was I think the best load of my tests. It penetrated nearly 2 jugs lodging in the back wall and expanded just slightly less than the DPX.
So of all these loads I would carry either the Winchester PDX1 or either Corbon example with confidence. Anything else you might just as well carry a FMJ load and at least you'll get good penetration with the FMJ loads. These short barrel pocket 380s just don't generate enough velocity to reliably expand except for the PDX1 and Corbon loads.
MAG318, I am interested in your results. In general, I was pretty high on the new PDX1 ammo when it came out, but according to energy and velocity specs, it seemed that the Corbon was a little better, but your results kind of shed new light. Just to clarify, I gathered from your results that the PDX1 actually penetrated better than both Corbon's and expanded almost as well...would you say that is correct?