View Single Post

Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 AM

Liked 85 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
I was thinking the Skelton load of 7.5 gr. Unique under the 250 gr. Keith bullet was all that was needed. I'm still waiting on my 696 to arrive but that's what I'm going to do. If you want a .44 Magnum, get one.
Absolutely correct. Once again.......the gun is a 44 special. Skeeter's load made an outstanding inprovement over the lethargic factory stuff loaded light due to all the old 44 special from the early 20th century still floating around out there. An 800/900 fps load of a 250 grain Keith type in any 44 special is more than capable of performing the duties function well in the model 696. It is a smaller, lighter, SS, adjustable sighted carry revolver. It is not a hunting gun, a target gun, or a plinker. It is and was designed as a carry piece......smaller and somewhat lighter than the N framed 44's. As such, it need not be loaded to anywhere near Keith specials. Keep it as such, enjoy the quality, easy packing, large bore attributes of the gun and it will last forever. If you need more, carry more. Get a Backpacker, or similar 629 three inch and load the **** out of it if you find you need to.

Last edited by Jimmymac46; 08-29-2010 at 12:22 AM.