View Single Post

Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 774 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA10mm
I think I understand what you're saying, but for clarity, you are NOT saying that Elmer's original load (250gr SWC @ ~1200fps) will NOT penetrate on quartering shots, right? Elmer had too many examples to count of his original, experimental 44 Spl. load w/ his design of 250gr SWC and either 2400 or even the old No.80 powder (which he abandoned only due to pressure issues, not due to lack of penetration), where the bullet completely penetrated through both shoulders. Granted, the bullets must be cast hard enough to accomplish this, but there's NO need for a bullet heavier than 250grs to do this, at least on deer-sized and construction-style game. There's just no need for anything heavier on hogs, deer, or other "small" big game. Go to Moose, caribou/elk, or big bears, and I'd want all the penetration I can get, and would "upgrade" from the Keith, but it's the really large animal that will stop a Keith, but let a WFN keep going through, not a deer.
You've got it!
I know that you don't need more weight for deer or hogs, though in my experience (and I have killed quite a few hogs) a heavier bullet can be a benefit for come what may shooting in the thick stuff, especially on and enraged boar being persued by dogs.

My post above regarding the heavy slugs was only to clear up some misconceptions about why Flat Top and some others have been playing with the 400 grainers in .44 caliber. They are for a very specific purpose that most shooters and hunters will never have.

I too, use both jacketed and cast bullets, and for deer generally prefer jacketed since they open up and will usually (though not always) provide a faster kill, deer don't require that much penetration, and where we hunt it's important to keep the deer from crossing property boundries.

I would also like to point out to the "jacketed is as good as cast cult", that cast bullets are far easier on barrel steels, cheaper to shoot (which is a major concern these days), and are available in a wider array of choices than jacketed bullets, though there are enough jacketed ones out there now to cover most applications quite nicely. Last, a lead bullet will provide higher velocity than a jacketed bullet given equal pressures, and equal velocity with less pressure than any jacket bullet. Maybe an extra 100 fps won't add any appreciable killing power, but it does help flatten trajectories a bit, and with a handgun, every little bit helps.