View Single Post

Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I had not even considered the length/style of bullet. I have all these 55 grs as my AR is a 1:9.
The Weatherby 1:12 shoots them pretty well but I wanted to try to tighten it up a little more. I will have to go to a different range(crazy public range) to shoot over 100 yds as that's all we have at my current range(private).

I need to place an order for other "stuff" so I'll order a box or two of some premium bullets.

I also found this site which has a lot of good info. These guys are in a different league than I am.

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide

Edit: After re reading some of the replies, I might actually be better with a lighter bullet??
The rules of thumb are what they are, but sometimes don't quite hold up. We aren't "supposed" to get good accuracy and stability with bullets over 70-73 grains in a 9-twist barrel. However, I have duplicated the Mk242-Mod-0 77gr. load, using Sierra's 77gr. cannelured OTM bullets, and I'm getting MOA accuracy at 100 yards with my 14.5" M-4gery with Bushmaster 1x9 barrel. It does the same with Black Hills 75gr. loads, and my longer-barreled 1x9 match ARs shoot both loads even better.

I only own one .223 with a 1x12 twist, a Browning A-Bolt with a BOSS brake. I tuned the brake for 55gr. Ballistic Tip loads, and it will shoot into .7" at 100 yards all day. You are probably best off with nothing heavier than 55s, and 50-52 might be even better, but don't be afraid to experiment a little.