View Single Post

Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

If it is the bolt rifle from the 20's and 30's,,,,
Caliber makes a big difference in value.
Many of the originals have been rechambered over the years. Originality there is a big plus,,even though the factory chamberings may be a bit low powered by todays standards.

Many of the 25, 30, and 35 Remington chambers have been recut to more powerful numbers over the years. They are not always remarked as to the new chambering.

There are a confusing mix of models for the Model 30 including a carbine.
Do a bit of research and determine exactly which model it is. Stock profiles changed as did sighting equiptment.
There are different model numbers for the 30S just for the different manufacture of receiver sites factory installed on the rifle (Lyman, Redfield, Marble/Goss).

Some references state late models were available factory drilled and tapped,,I've been told by a few knowledgable collectors that they were not.

Originality is everything. A high grade would be a nice find.
A high condition 30S (Special) in 30-06 went looking for a buyer at $700 at recent large gunshow I was at.
I suspect if it was an original in 7mmMauser or 257 Roberts it may have sold, but it's a tough time to sell.
At the same show another dealer had a sad condition early Model30 w/the slim stock in 35Remington caliber priced at $900. It too remained unsold.

The grade numbers for the Remington rifles were changed to letter and names in the mid teens AFAIK.
Grade 3 Model 30 would have been a 'C' Grade/Special by the time the Mod 30 was in production in the 20's and 30's.
Imported walnut stock and better checkering than the 'A'/Standard grade rifle.

They are a strong action. Custom builders use them occasionally to build very large caliber rifles. It's a popular choice for the 505 Gibbs cartridge. A reworked M1917 or P14 can be used as well for the conversion.

Last edited by 2152hq; 08-31-2010 at 08:24 PM.