View Single Post

Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 PM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts
Default Close Call Today: Marriage Hopefully Saved

I wandered in the NAPA about two hours ago to buy a hunting license. While Bill was printing it out, I noticed what looked like a 1911 Colt on the counter amongst a pile of boxes and handguns. There was another older gentleman with one of those heavy-duty grocery bags with a bunch of guns in it he was selling. Pretty much the same scenario as last week when I bought the NIB Nickel New Frontier. I thought to myself, "Oh, ****. You're going to get in even worse trouble."

My wife pays the bills. Sunday night, she was going over the bills. She asked, "What is all this money on the Barrow bill for?" I told her to just send them a couple of hundred dollars, and mumbled something about selling something to pay it off. Later, after she went to bed, I looked at the bill. The charge for the New Frontier wasn't even on it, just the remnants of what I owed on the P&R Model 19-3 I bought about a month ago. Oh, ****.

When I got my license, I eased over and looked at the gun. It was a Colt Combat Commander. I didn't pick it up or anything, I could just see that it looked pretty good, and had the old satin nickel finish Colt used to put on some Commanders. I walked over and casually asked Bill if they were trading for the gun. "Oh, it's ours," he said. I asked how much, and he said I would have to ask Bo, they hadn't priced it yet, and it would probably go on Gunbroker.

"It's a 9MM," he said. It's funny now, but a wave of relief actually swept over me--now I won't have to get a divorce!! I have been coveting a good Colt 1911, preferably a Series 70 or pre Series 70 Government Model, or a Commander, but I have absolutely no interest in a 9MM Commander, nor anything else.

Unless a really nice Model 39-2 were to show up.