View Single Post

Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 PM

Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedic View Post
amunition is everything with a .22. We had two shootings in a week, one with a .22 and the other a .22 magnum. Both at pointblank range. Neither penatrated the skull. Both were with lead softpoint ammo. Iv'e seen several shootings with .22 hollowpoints that were fatal, but none of them quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule 303 View Post
I've investigated more homocides with a .22lr pistol than any other caliber of weapon. Some the folks were DRT, some they died at the scene after telling me who shot them and some lingered for a day or two. I worked one where the Perpress said that John Eddie dropped to the floor and did not quiver after she shot him with a Ruger Mk II, the round entering just under his nose, dead center of his upper lip. I was impressed.

Rule 303
I, too, have had a few people on the autopsy table who died of 22 wounds. Sometimes, especially with the "standard velocity" LRNes, the bullets will travel in some interesting paths. Sometimes this is attributed to bouncing around inside the body, and sometimes (and this is the opinion I agree with) the fluid dynamics of the internals of the human body combined with a higher velocity elongated RN projectile made interesting, sometimes curvy, paths through the body. They certainly can be fatal; I can attest.

Also, don't forget that John Hinckley incapacitated four people with a 6-shot 22 l.r. revolver. (Of course, shooting exploding bullets, but it's also my understanding that most of them didn't explode and acted like LRNes anyway...)

The bottom line is, and Rule 303 is really getting to the heart of the matter, that the 22 L.R. will kill, but it's very inconsistent on speed (and sometimes the effectiveness) of the demise. If you want a real defensive gun, you should get something bigger, but the 22 L.R. will work better than a poke with a stick.
The Following User Likes This Post: