View Single Post

Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
I have always been leery of the .44/40 because of the stories that it jammed the guns. I don't know how, but cylinder rotation was impaired. That dates back to black powder days.
I don't know how common it is; saw it in Skeeter Skelton's articles. Venturino hasn't had a problem with it.

On the other hand, the round should work okay on people. Lt. Col. Vincent Fosbery, V.C., who later invented a Webley automatic revolver bearing his name, said that the .44 was the best handgun stopper that he saw in use along the Afghan frontier in the 1870's and 1880's. That carries a lot of weight with me, those Pathan tribesmen being notoriously hard to kill.

Anyone know what velocity the 200 grain bullet gave from revolvers with factory ammo in the 1920's? I assume that rifle pressure ammo was NOT safe for use in revolvers.
T-Star
In "The Art of Handgun Shooting" by Capt. Charles Askins Jr., 1941, he lists the velocity of a .44-40 from revolver at 918 fps. with a 200 gr. bullet.

Tapered or bottlenecked cartridges in revolvers can lock up the cylinder by "set back", as they exapand under pressure they are forced backwards and press against the breech face. I have never noticed a problem with low pressured cartridges like the .32-20, which I've shot a lot of, or the .44-40, which I've only shot a relatively few of. But it is a problem in higher pressured cases like the .22 Jet or .22 Hornet. It might have occured using rifle ammo in revolvers but I've never shot any of it any either caliber so I can't say for sure.