View Single Post

Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Liked 9,151 Times in 3,380 Posts

I shoot quite alot of 44-40 both in a Winchester 73 and a Colt Bisley S/A.
No problems reloading. I can't think of the last time I lost a case to buckling or collapsing as is often stated.
But it is a slower paced reloading,,, single stage, sizing lube, ect.
If you're used to crank 'em out high volume loading, the 44-40 probably isn't for you, though I seem to recall one of the progressive press mfg offering a 44-40 setup,,Dillon maybe??

Mine are all BP or BP sub (American Pioneer or it's earlier namesake CleanShot) loads.
No crimping problems, the bullet can't move back 'cause of the powder in the case, and a decent crimp keeps them from jumping forward in the Colt.
Powder scoop measured. Bullets are always 200gr LFN. They function in the Winchester
Very accurate in the 73 with it's Lyman tang site. The rifle is a rebore (Ken Briesen) from 38-40. Action rebuilt to tighten it to new. Outside, it looks like it sat in a barn all it's life.
Don't know what the MV/ME specs are but I wouldn't feel undergunned at ranges up to 100yrds using it for whitetails (if I still hunted).
It was quite a favorite for a long time before deer & other critters became unstoppable for some reason.

The Colt suffers from a poor bore and for now is just a fun noise maker.
The firing pin/ frame pin hole suffered from the problem mentioned in the post above. The gun would nicely demonstrate the 'lock-up on firing' syndrome every so often.
Not from the cartridge design, but from the mechanical problem. Once the problem was fixed, it has not done it once since.

When 44-40 brass was at a premium (before the Cowboy Shooter days!), I used to make some of it from 44magnum brass.
It is a little shorter than real 44-40. A simple pass through a 44-40 sizer gives you the brass,,but,, then you have to ream the inside of the neck to give it the characteristic thin neck area.

If you simply try to seat the bullet into the sized case w/o reaming the neck (the thicker 44mag brass in the neck) the brass will either collapse as it is now way undersize ID for the bullet,,or if you do get it to enter the case it will re-expand the brass back out to the parent 44mag case outside dimentions and you have accomplished nothing.