Thread: S&W 296 44 spl
View Single Post

Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Dbracin: I'm not sure that price is unreasonable. I bought one to be a carry gun, therefore, I really didn't care if it was perfect or not. One in 90-95% for $550 would be a good buy in my book, and fair price in Central Oregon. If you were to buy %100 NIB as a collector, you would pay $700-$800. If you want a great carry gun, that will defend your life as well as any other, I would buy it. I lucked into a very nice one, I was thinking of safe queening it for future trade fodder, however, it is now my constant pocket gun. I am slowly going through a box of mellow cowboy action loads, when they are gone, I'll reload something mellow and reasonable. The 296 doesn't have to be loaded to the nuts to be effective. I have two 624's and I can get beefy with them if necessary. I really like the finish on the 296, I have not been very nice to this gun for two years of pocket, truck seat, guy purse, falling on the floor, etc. The finish still looks good. For its intended purpose, I feel the 296 is one of the best guns ever made. Light, powerful and beautiful. I love mine. bw

Last edited by Beaver; 09-11-2010 at 11:26 PM.