Thread: S&W 296 44 spl
View Single Post

Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

A quick check before buying. The cylinder stop is cast in place - and can be pared away with a 'Hollywood rap' or two of the ejector rod. The result is simple - the cylinder can fall out when you go to unload! Release the cylinder, swing it all the way open, and see if it will pass by that stop... if so, no thanks. If it passes this test, $550 for a good one sounds appropriate - they listed for over two hundred more when they were axed! Of course, some bargain hunters got them on closeout NIB fot $349.

I bought mine eight years ago this January - for $359 on 'closeout' - on the same day I bought my 696 for $439 (regular price) - both NIB from a local Ma/Pa gunstore. Buying both, they gave me another $10 off. I bought it to replace my AMT DAO Backups in .45 ACP - both of which had exhibited problems earlier that day (Never polish their feedramps!) at the range. I got $200/each for the pair - the last of my evil-bottom-feeders. Actually, the second Backup still had their closeout price of $199 on it! Sadly, while the Backups were carried in a pocket holster, the 296 had to ride - infrequently - in an OWB belt leather holster from OWL (Uncle Mike's). It also sported the rounded UM's combat grips off the 696 - while it found happiness in some Ahrend's cocobolo grips. The UM's padded that backstrap - making recoil a bit less painful.

I eventually found R. Mika and his pocket holsters. I had him make one for my 296 - the combo, with the 296's OEM boot grips back on, fit 3 out of 4 of my pants front pockets - and increased my 'carry'. I eventually ordered a 642 holster - bought a 642 - and that combo is a 24/7 carry. The 296 still gets the woods stomping pocket carry duties - with a 240gr LSWC first, followed by it's usual urban ammo - 200gr Speer Gold Dots loaded in new brass by Georgia Arms. After 1,800 similar, but AL-cased, Blazers in my various .44's, I had a case split - no more of them - and went to brass-cased only in the Ti cylinder.

I did shoot my 296 a lot more when it wore the UM's combats - probably has 2,400+ rounds through it - still tight as a drum. Not so many these days - 10 rounds/month or so. The 200gr GD's smart a bit with those teeny boots - and that bare backstrap & hump. It was initially stiff in the trigger. Taking that sideplate off and blasting some manufacturing grime out of it with aerosol RemOil - and sharing a drop of oil with the axles, etc, made the greatest difference imagineable. Smooth - like a trigger job had been done! I let RemOil or Breakfree soak on that Ti cylinder's front then use a nylon bristle M16 'toothbrush', accepting some vestigial carbon rings.

Some find it ugly... I guess it's an acquired taste. I like the Ti atom symbol on the side. I'd love a 242, too. The 296 does have it's quirks - mainly ammo restrictions, ie, 200gr or less, clad only, and no short cases (.44 Russians) due to the light weight and that Ti cylinder. That's easy here - mostly 200gr Gold Dots - with an occasional first round of 240gr LSWC. Incidently, I tested mine with my own 240gr LSWC's - the fifth round was checked after each shot - and grew in OAL - to the point where it had completely straightened it's crimp after the fourth shot - it would have certainly jammed by bullet pulling with lesser crimps than I use. Mine has seen some 180gr SJHP's, too - but mostly that Speer 200gr Gold Dot - which, my reloads, Georgia Arms in brass, or the Blazers all use - and I've chrono-ed between 800 - 805 fps. They do a job on a 2L pop bottle full of water, too - small entry & backside is gone! I no longer fear bands of marauding pop bottles full of water!

I did find a way to really lessen my 296's recoil:

Yeah, the Hogue made-for-S&W .500 Magnum grips, although they fit perfectly and really tame the recoil, are a tad absurd in size - certainly takes the combo out of 'pocketable' size - other than a huge overcoat. My 296 will be here when my 696 is long gone - it's a keeper.

Stainz
The Following 2 Users Like Post: