View Single Post

Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1960's conversion reloader to shoot pellets

While at the gun show this weekend, I picked up this nifty lil gadget that will load special conversion .38 special cases to shoot a pellet with a primer out of your .38 special revolver or rifle. It was made in 1963 and is in great condition. The instructions state that calibers .44 and .45 were also available.

It is called the "Pip Squeak" made by Lachmiller Engineering. It is my understanding from a net search that Lachmiller was bought out by RCBS in the 1980's. Lachmiller also made reloading dies, presses and accessories for reloading.

It consists of a primer tool (cammed with a primer pin and rod lever), base, 5 steel .38spl conversion cases that will shoot an .173 lead ball or pellet (I have been using .177 pellets with real sucess), pellet ram rod/de-capper and instructions.

Original cost was $9.50 for each caliber. My cost at the gun show was $16.00.

I also found some small pistol primers at the show for this, size 1 1/2, CCI 1000 for $22.00 and some standard .177 pellets for $3.00 for 250 count.

I have shot about 100 rounds out of it and so far accuraccy is at 15 feet is about 3" groups. They also penetraited a 1/4" piece of plywood and both sides of a filled with water soda can. I will buy some other pellets and different primers to see if diff combos provide better accuracy or pent. I wonder is small pistol magnum primers would perform better.

Here are some pictures: