View Single Post

Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsforsmiths View Post
This was a low quality pistol made by many different manufactures from the late 1880s to around 1915. The name 'Special Agent' was a tradename used by Fred Bifflar & Company of Chicago. They were mostly a mail order company and in direct competition with Sears and Montgomery Ward at the time. I believe they went out of business in the mid-1920s.

Many different companies contracted with them over the years to make low quality, inexpensive top break pistols in the S&W design. Two of the main ones were Crescent Fire Arms Co. and Meridian Arms Co. Iver Johnson also made some Special Agent models as well. Bifflar also stocked a close copy of the S&W top break under the name of Howard Arms Co., Chicago. It too had the name Special Agent on the left side of the barrel. This pistol was made by Crescent Fire Arms Co. as well as Meridian Arms Co.

I hope this answers some questions for you about these pistols.
The only weird thing is...is that the pistol I'm referring to is dated in the 1950s or 1960s and my dad claims that it clearly states Smith and Wesson on the barrel. Also, can you tell me how they measure the barrel on a pistol? I am new to this and usually only deal with rifles. Although this pistol is a top break. Does anyone know where I can find a picture?