View Single Post

Old 09-17-2010, 04:15 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,092 Times in 1,249 Posts

Last year I won a Nagant revolver in a internet "postal" match. I've played with it on several occasions since then. It is an interesting design and the revolver seems well made.

I fired some Aguila ammunition in the 7.62 Nagant revolver just because so many claim that it is ok to shoot .32 S&W Long in the Nagant's factory cylinder. I've already tested the revolver for accuracy with .32 S&W Long and satisfied myself that it is a non-event to fire .32 S&W Long ammunition in it. All that remained was to test .32 S&W Long for velocity and consistency.

Aguila .32 S&W Long 98 grain lead round nose fired in the Nagant revolver

574 fps muzzle velocity
72 ft./lbs muzzle energy
25 extreme spread
15 standard deviation

By studying the 7 cartridge cases in the above photos, one may see a slight bulge in the .32 S&W Long that forms when it is fired in a Nagant revolver. I've fired most of a box and have not yet had a split. It will be noticed that the ejector rod is extended in the photo. I failed to notice this and actually later loaded and fired the revolver once over the chronograph with the ejector rod extended.

The Nagant will give a really good accuracy performance with the .32 S&W Long ammunition, better in fact than it shoots its own proper ammunition. It handles, balances, and points much better than it looks. The trigger is reasonable in singe action mode. The trigger is dreadful in double action mode. Part of the reason for this is due to the function of the gas seal effect. The trigger mechanism moves the cylinder forward to accomplish the gas seal as the gun is cocked. The Nagant is hopeless to load and unload with any speed. Slower than molasses, it operates like a Colt Single Action Army but with a curious pivoting ejector rod that has no spring to retract it. If under attack or fighting hand-to-hand in a combat situation, one would have it's cylinder's compliment of 7 shots with no reasonable way to reload in a timely manner. The gas seal system, for which it is famous, does work but for no purpose since the ammunition is so feeble.

Here's the test using proper Fiocchi factory 7.62 Nagant ammunition which is loaded with a 98 grain jacketed bullet.

672 fps MV
98 ft./lbs ME
84 ES
28 SD

I also shot the Aguila .32 S&W Long ammunition in a couple of revolvers made for the cartridge. I used a circa 1917 Smith & Wesson Model 1903 Hand Ejector and a circa 1915 Colt Police Positive with a 4-inch barrel.

Aguila 98 grain lead round nose fired in the Smith & Wesson Model 1903. This revolver is 98% and tight as new. It sports the 3 1/4-inch barrel which has a sparkling bright bore.

631 fps MV
87 ft./lbs ME
50 ES
20 SD

Aguila 98 grain lead round nose fired in the Colt Police Positive. This revolver has seen better days but still has a little original finish and is serviceable. It has a 4-inch barrel.

728 fps
115 ft./lbs ME
37 ES
16 SD

I was surprised that the ammunition registered nearly 100 fps more velocity from the Colt than from the Smith & Wesson. The 3/4-inch longer barrel of the Colt shouldn't have mattered significantly with the low-pressure ammunition used. The Nagant gave the lowest velocities for the Aguila ammunition which could be attributed to the fact that it is incorrect ammunition and doesn't fit the revolver's chamber. Still, it was the Nagant that recorded the most consistency with the ammunition.

Comparing the Smith & Wesson Model 1903 Hand Ejector with the Colt Police Positive finds the Police Positive is much the better gun for pleasant shooting. It gives a fuller grip and is better balanced though it is still pretty small and concealable. For me, the Smith & Wesson Model 1903 has a stunted grip frame with thin panels that don't afford a truly adequate grip for my fairly large hands. I enjoyed the Police Positive so much that I shot it for a while at a spinning disc target I had brought with me. I forget about actually shooting this Police Positive from time to time and need to take it out more for some great .32 fun.

The Nagant is also efficient to grasp and feels solid in the hand. It has a well-designed grip that only looks different to American eyes. However, when considering the loading operation of the Nagant, one would have been just as well off to try to beat back the German hoards in 1941 armed with the Colt Police Positive .32.

An Ohehler Model 12 chronograph was used. 10-shot strings were fired for average.

Last edited by bmcgilvray; 09-17-2010 at 04:19 PM.