View Single Post

Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Liked 15,509 Times in 6,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomballistics View Post
38 special and 9MM are pretty equal 380 is pathetic even though it has bagged and tagged its fair share.
what makes or breaks a defensive round is the amount of time between the shot, and the drop.
big boys like 45 autos have a much shorter pop to drop time than 38's 32's 9's and 380's
CCW's really need to think about that factor given the role of the gun they are packing.

But back on the subject.
I could more than stand to play with a good 32 H&R and I'd anticipate finding it at least as useful as a 38.
I cannot say the same for a 380 which is close to exclusively a bottom feeder cartridge.
between minimum impulse to operate the action and its redline ... thats a rather small playground.

I do not like ballistic comparisons and of course bigger is better but look up the percentages of one shot stops between 380 and regular 38 special. Yes, ever-ones stats can be debated, skewed, interpreted but that's all we have. I have my own wet newspaper tests with 380's and would not like to be hit by one.
Here in 95 degree Florida with equal humidity, with docker shorts and a t shirt, can't really carry a 40 or 45. Those pocket 380's give me 7 rounds of much easier and accurate than a 5 shot 38 snub. Todays 380 ammp (Speer GD or Rem GS (102gr) are by no means "pathetic"