View Single Post

Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne02 View Post
Ok thanks. I ask because some folks are not necessarily interested in maximizing power to weight/size ratio. My wife likes the 642 J-frame sized gun but doesn't like the .38 recoil.

Just wondering if the 32 or 327 might be more manageable. Although I admit that I've yet to seek out a powder puff load in .38 for her to try. Maybe some wad cutters or something.
In my outvoiced opinion, you'd be better off finding her some light .38s. Even if you have to go to .38 short colts, .38 long colts, wadcutters, cowboy action ammo or etc. With them you always have the chance to go up in power if she ever decides she can handle it.

The big lure to the .32 magnum in a J frame was that it would hold one more round than a .38/.357 J frame gun. While they may be close to a .38 mid range in power, the little tiny bullet doesn't live up to expectations. That is why they are bringing out the .327 with it's rifle like pressure limits. I'm no expert, but unless the magazine writers can convince enough people of it's usefulness in a J frame, I predict a marketing failure.

I have a .32 magnum and love to shoot it, but it is a Taurus 76, which is similar to a K frame in size and has a six inch barrel. The .327 may even become popular in similar sized and type of firearms, but not for personal defense. The idea, like venom touched on, is to match the gun, cartridge and bullet to the purpose. People that are mad, crazy, drug induced or etc. aren't the same as bunny rabbits or squirrels, or even coyotes. By the time you jack the .32s up to do the job, you might as well carry a .357 magnum. A .32 magnum out of a 3" barrel is no better than a .380. The difference would be that a .380 in a gun the size of a J frame revolver would hold 13 +1 rounds instead of six.

Now, let's get into the area of availability. Yes, the .32 magnums and .327 are commercially available. .32 magnums have always seemed to be hard to find and aren't all that popular even with those that like the cartridge. That seems to be the picture I get off the earlier posts too. Factory loadings were limited to two offerings from Federal when I bough mine and didn't care for either one of them. The .327 is new and factory ammo will be available as long as the firearms sell. If they don't sell very well their availability may be even worse than the .32 magnums. And you might want to ask who in your area is stocking them before you buy one.