View Single Post

Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Liked 48,748 Times in 9,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizamo View Post
Lee,

Banzai!!! Your choice, Amigo. Not mine.
Not sure I understand what you mean, but I'm assuming you took "Banzai" as a challenge for personal combat. Unfortunately, I am wearing my "good clothes", and Momma will whip me if I get them dirty.
Actually, I was stating that an army with unusable firearms facing a force with usable firearms had better be willing to make a "Banzai" charge, or simply mill around and be shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizamo View Post

You seem to have taken exception to my postings of the American History of the firearms I pursue, and the subject matter,....for what reason, I do not know.
Scuuuuuse me.
I thought it was a discussion forum.
I don't recall 'taking exception' to your posts. I find them quite interesting, and like them. I usually have little to contribute, not being expert in BP.
I do know military history to some degree, and understand the larger picture of logistics that accompanies any soldier/army/battle/war.
Continuing the discussion, let's assume for a moment that the rifle was as practical in that day for battle.
Where would you even get enough to equip an army?
The only thing resembling a mass production factory in that day were government armories, or large contractors for European armories. None of them would be willing to convert to rifle manufacture for a bunch of rebs with little money. So we used the seized Brit arms, what the French supplied us, and whatever we could beg/buy/borrow/steal. Can you imagine trying to equip 50,000 riflemen with the production of one, two, or three man riflesmith shops in the colonies? Can you imagine the differences in bore diameter between all those various rifles and molds? Try loading your favorite rifle with a ball 10 thousandths too large. Then, try it dirty. I just miked a business card that is 11/1000's thick.... What a logistical nightmare.

The rifle became a practical, usable battle weapon because of Minie.