View Single Post

Old 09-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Square butt Model 37

Hello Everyone,

I need some help; actually, lots of help.

My uncle just showed me today a Model 37 revolver that he inherited from my grandfather.

There was a number on the grip bottom (Serial #?), but nowhere else that I saw. I'll admit, I didn't think of looking inside the cylinder area, if by chance there is a number there, too.

I don't know anything about these revolvers, but I'm curious about some things my uncle said. He mentiond that my grandfather had the gun since around 1952 and that he (my uncle has had it for the last 40+ years.

The number on the gun is 156200. The blue box it was in said: Smith & Wesson Model 37 Airweight, Chief's Special, Blue finish, 2-inch barrel, Square butt.

What can anyone tell me about this type of weapon?

It appears to be in working order, a little bit neglected, but the hammer and trigger felt solid (no play or wobble), the cylinder spun freely (albeit a little tight) and the action seemed crisp (good trigger break and no noticeable slack).

Were these good carry weapons?
When might this revolver have been manufactured?
Could it really be from the early '50s?

If I can't get any information here, I won't have any other recourse but to send off for a "Letter of Authenticity" from Smith & Wesson. But I would have to spend $50 just to know when it was made.

Please help.

Sincerely,

Eric Torres
Tron1