View Single Post

Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 AM

Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts

I have been working on a project gun of mine for quite a while....It's a 686-4 2.5 inch. It has been dished for moonclips, I bobbed the hammer, put those sexy Nill grips on it, did an action job, and then installed a C&S fixed rear sight......this is when all the trouble started for me. Since the 686 has the RR front sight, I had no way of adjusting the POI, so I had the front sight dovetailed and had a tritium 1911 sight installed. Thinking that would fix the problem I was really dissapointed that I could not even get the gun to hit my target from 15 yards (the front sight was almost hanging off the dovetail, it looked terrible!).....so back to the drawing board. As it turns out, the barrel needed to be turned to the right a few thousandths.....however this barrel was already severely over torqued from the factory. The barrel was put on a lathe and just turned by hand (no need to turn the lathe on and take too much off the shoulder)......this finally corrected the problem and had I done this at first the RR sight might have worked, but as it turned out I love the tritium front sight and this gun has turned out to be a favorite. I have another 686-4 2.5 inch that I am wanting to convert to a 3 incher......and I'm sure the barrel is probably not aligned or over torqued on this one as well......